DIY Changing Pad Cover

Someday our child will be embarrassed to use or wear anything that I’ve made by hand. Brand names and styles will matter, and hand-sewn will seem backwoods country instead of urban homesteader-chic.

Until that day comes, I will embrace DIY! I will buy used. I will repaint and repurpose. I will accept hand-me-downs graciously, and I will enjoy the creative process of making things by hand.

Tonight’s Project: A DIY changing pad cover.

Total Time: Under 1 Hour
Pattern: None Used
Cost: Materials Donated (free!)
Difficulty: Easy

One of my oldest friends offered us an extra changing pad for our changing table, and my mom gave us the leftover fabric from the precious baby quilt she made for our little monster.

Between the three donations (changing pad cover and two pieces of fabric), I think we’ve managed to save somewhere around $65.00 so far, and I still have enough fabric left to make throw pillows or stuffed animals.

Fabric #1 is soft flannel with a pretty baby pattern on it, and Fabric #2 is a sage polka dot fleece that’s going to end up being almost identical to this Carter’s changing pad cover ($17.99 retail value).

Even without a pattern, the first changing pad cover was an easy project. I used this DIY fitted crib sheet pattern from “The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking” as a general model.

DIY Changing Pad Cover in 7.5 Steps:

DIY Changing Pad Cover1. Cut a large enough rectangle of fabric to cover the changing pad and to wrap around each side by a few inches.

DIY Changing Pad Cover2. Cut out the corners, as you can see in the picture above.

3. Sew a wide seam into each of the four main edges of fabric (top, bottom, left side, right side).

4. Poke a safety pin through a long piece of 1/8″ elastic, running it through the first seam. (The safety pin is simply to help you grip the elastic as you run it through the seam. You’ll remove the safety pin at the end of step 5.)

5. Once the elastic is drawn through the fabric and as tight as you’d like it to be (think fitted bed sheet), sew the elastic firmly into the seam at each of the two ends. Remove the safety pin and trim any extra elastic. (See third photo, below, left)

Sewing the Elastic into a DIY Changing Pad Cover6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each of the remaining three sides of the pad cover.

7. Turn fabric inside-out and sew each of the four corners together.

(This is as straightforward as it sounds; just sew a straight seam connecting the two raw edges where you cut your fabric out in step 2.)

Finished DIY Changing Pad Cover7.5. Put the changing pad cover onto the changing pad, take an awesome photo, and share it on your blog, or with your mom, or both:

There are probably patterns out there that would create a more tailored finished product along those curved edges (the upward curves that prevent the baby from rolling off the changing table) of the pad than my makeshift pattern did, but I was going for fast, durable, and functional — not for perfectly tailored. Besides, using a pattern takes all the fun out of it, don’t you think?

I love how this first project turned out, and I’m looking forward to putting together the second one later this week!

Did you do any DIY projects in your baby’s nursery? Leave a comment!

Want to see my other ideas for nursery projects? Follow my Pinterest board, “DIY Projects for Pregnancy & Baby“.

Did you enjoy this post? Never miss another post from the MilliGFunk blog

by connecting with me on PinterestFacebookTwitterInstagram, and Bloglovin’!

Bookmark the permalink.

3 Comments

  1. Great job on your DIY project! It’s so nice to save a bit of money, but even better is the satisfaction that you made that beautiful Changing Pad Cover! Many times over the years, I’ve sewn without patterns, and sometimes those projects have turned out better than ones with patterns! My favorite part is the half step! lol…Kudos to you! P.S. Posted some baby shower pics on my blog yesterday 🙂

  2. This is so cute! I found most changing pad covers to be obnoxious, so I just lay a waterproof sheet down since I found I was cleaning them fairly often. For my son’s room I did his name in wooden letters (painted and attached picture hangers to the back). For my daughter’s room, I had my son finger paint in her nursery colors, then I cut out butterfly shapes and framed them. We’ll be doing similar art projects with the kids once we found out baby #3’s gender 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • FreshBooks